Saturday, December 5, 2009

Film "Il Postino"

Please respond in the Comment Box. We will also briefly discuss these notions in class:

How does metaphor affect Mario?

Mario is not the only person affected or moved by metaphor or poetry. Is there anyone else in the film who is affected by metaphor?

In the film, poetry comes out an experience with the natural world. In which other ways does poetry manifest itself? Be specific; your answers should relate back to particular scenes in the film.

Mario asks Neruda a very complex question, in which he ponders on whether everything in the world is a metaphor for something else. Neruda never answers him. What do you think Neruda might have answered?

5 comments:

  1. Mario is hipnotized and obsessed by metaphors. Metaphors open a new way of seeing and describing the world to Mario and he uses that new ability to pursue his goals.
    Beatrice is also affected by poetry. Poetry is the element that makes her fall in love with Mario. It affects her to the point that she decides to marry him.
    Poetry manifests in the way that it becomes a tool for politics. When Neruda is thinking about what could have happened to Mario, we see that Mario was going to use poetry to express something in the Communist manifestation. Maybe Mario was going to use it to convince the people or rise commotion in the crowd.
    I think Neruda would have told Mario to go write poetry and discover the answer for himself. Neruda was shown as a very individualistic man in poetry. I don't think he liked to share. He taught Mario poetry by practice and I think that writing poems is an efective way to understand it. I think Neruda would have prefered Mario to understand the concept by himself rather than to have tried to explain it.

    Karen M. Delgado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and no (my opinion). I think that Neruda wanted Mario to discuss the answer himself. I also think that Neruda might not have known the answer himself. Again, Neruda, as shown in the film, was a great thinker. All questions took their time in finding an answer.

    namely, I wonder if Neruda worried about Mario's question. What does that say about the weight of a metaphor or the weight of a poem that has metaphors in it? Does it discount their meaning? Does it diminish their meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The metaphor affect every part of Mario's life. When he discovers metaphor he start to write poems and he starts to pay attention to details around him. Beatrice was also influence by poetry because Mario use poetry to make her fall in love with him. Poetry is manifest on songs and on everypodys daily life; for example the scene when Neruda was dancing with his wife the song was like a poem. I don't think that Neruda would have answer Mario's question, because there are things that each person have to discover, but I do think that metaphor can be find in everything, if you give time to analize what is at you side.

    Iride Acosta Dumantt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metaphors changed Mario's life completely. It gave him a way to express his feelings towards Beatrice. Mario used his poetry to try and make Beatrice fall in love with him and it worked. Poetry can manifest itself in the beauty of the nature, for example when Neruda told Mario to take a walk on the beach so he can find metaphors. I think that Neruda wanted Mario to find that answer for himself because if Neruda told him it would be like a big spoiler for many great things and discoveries related to poetry.

    Luis J. Rosa Cuevas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful responses and attempts to answer Mario's question.

    ReplyDelete