Monday, November 23, 2009

Pablo Neruda's Ode to a large Tuna in the Market

Ode to a Large Tuna in the Market

by Pablo Neruda
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poem.html?id=179412


Here,
among the market vegetables,
this torpedo
from the ocean
depths,
a missile
that swam,
now
lying in front of me
dead.

Surrounded
by the earth's green froth
—these lettuces,
bunches of carrots—
only you
lived through
the sea's truth, survived
the unknown, the
unfathomable
darkness, the depths
of the sea,
the great
abyss,
le grand abîme,
only you:
varnished
black-pitched
witness
to that deepest night.

Only you:
dark bullet
barreled
from the depths,
carrying
only
your
one wound,
but resurgent,
always renewed,
locked into the current,
fins fletched
like wings
in the torrent,
in the coursing
of
the
underwater
dark,
like a grieving arrow,
sea-javelin, a nerveless
oiled harpoon.

Dead
in front of me,
catafalqued king
of my own ocean;
once
sappy as a sprung fir
in the green turmoil,
once seed
to sea-quake,
tidal wave, now
simply
dead remains;
in the whole market
yours
was the only shape left
with purpose or direction
in this
jumbled ruin
of nature;
you are
a solitary man of war
among these frail vegetables,
your flanks and prow
black
and slippery
as if you were still
a well-oiled ship of the wind,
the only
true
machine
of the sea: unflawed,
undefiled,
navigating now
the waters of death.

5 comments:

  1. I like this poem, I really like how Neruda keeps comparing the Tuna with a bullet or an arrow, and how he calls it a "solitary man of war" to me it gives the impression that he fought a battle against something stronger than him and survived! But in the end there was not much that he could do but be defeated... I enjoyed this poem so much!

    Alvin Vega

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the poem and more important, that you were struck by the power of the metaphors Neruda used to get his message across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first read this poem I though it was funny. I have never worked with poems before so this is my first experience and it being about a tuna being praised it made me laugh. But I think as I keep studying poems my perception about it will change. I believe that there is a lot to this poem than what I am seeing right now.

    Luis J. Rosa Cuevas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the beginning of the poem because, it was funny how Neruda put this "torpedo from the ocean" on the middle of a sea of vegetabales.I also found really interesting the way he praise this tuna like it was some kind of god or something really important.

    Iride Acosta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutley liked this poem. I like the fact that it is odd. It such an inconcievable idea that it makes you want to read it. I liked how it compared the tuna to a King. It's as if you were reading about royalty but it's just tuna. Poetry is in a way reeinventing and Neruda totally nailed it in this poem.

    Karen M. Delgado

    ReplyDelete