Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Anton Chekhov

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/tsehov.htm

http://www.todayinliterature.com/biography/anton.chekhov.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZTPvWUNYE


Please click on the links above to learn more about Anton Chekov.

Questions:

What is the historical background for "An Enigmatic Nature"?

What can we say about the role of women during the time "An Enigmatic Nature" was written?

What is the relevance, if there is one, of the Youtube video of a contemporary Anton Chekov reading his work at a bookstore in New York City? What do you think Anton Chekhov would say about this video representation of himself? What is the audience reaction to this representation?

3 comments:

  1. _______________________________________________
    Karen Delgado-

    I liked the story. I can identify to it because I'm going to be a psychologist like Voldemar and through he I can see how my profession is going to be like. I can also identify with the woman because I'm a female like her and the social oriented evolution of my sex concerns me.

    Here are my answers:

    1. What is the historical background for "An Enigmatic Nature"?
    The words that the author uses pretty much describe an epoch far passed, like the 19th century perhaps. We see that in the story there is a "Provincial Secretary", a governmental position that is not common in the contemporary world. Also, we can see that the author refers to provinces which are not usual in the 20th century. I can infer that if the lady is speaking French: "vous comprenez" or "you understand", then the setting must be at least in Europe, maybe close to France. I couldn't find in the text or in the internet any reference to any particular historic event that might be happening in the story but I'm almost sure that a war is going because there is a mention of generals and also wars were characteristic of Europe in the 19th century.
    2. What can we say about the role of women during the time "An Enigmatic Nature" was written?
    Women weren't allowed to work, we can see that example in the fact that the lady had to marry a rich general in order to maintain herself and her family. There is a line in the story: "give myself to the man I love, to become the partner of his life and to uphold his ideals", that suggests that women weren't allowed to think for themselves, they had to be in accordance to what their husbands said and this suggests that their role was not involved in taking any kind of decision that might affect society. Women were mostly "dolls", I think that they were used for decoration and reproduction purposes only.
    3. What is the relevance, if there is one, of the Youtube video of a contemporary Anton Chekov reading his work at a bookstore in New York City? What do you think Anton Chekhov would say about this video representation of himself? What is the audience reaction to this representation?
    First, I have to say that the man in the video is crazy and I think Anton Chekov is a serious writer not a clown. Maybe Anton Chekov would think that the man was very original and he would like that. The audience is shocked and amused and I think Anton Chekov would like that reaction.
    _______________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iride Acosta
    My answers:


    What is the historical background for "An Enigmatic Nature"?
    The historical background to An Enigmatic Nature was that Chekhov has a very hard childhood, and the he was almost force to live by himself. I think that every situation that he has to face during his life were the ones that make write this story in which we can see a woman that is obsess whit money, and the priority on her life is to have a good social position, and being wealthy.

    What can we say about the role of women during the time "An Enigmatic Nature" was written?
    The role of women during the time when this story was written was that they were seen as stay at home, they do not have any role in the society, and they cannot interact with mans on any kind of society role. In other words they don’t have voice, neither vote.


    What is the relevance, if there is one, of the Youtube video of a contemporary Anton Chekov reading his work at a bookstore in New York City? What do you think Anton Chekhov would say about this video representation of himself? What is the audience reaction to this representation?
    I do not found any relevance on the Anton Chekov that I saw on the bookstore, because it was just kind of a funny Chekov instead of a formal reader, I dint see anything contemporary. I think that Chekov would find this representation rude because all the time the person was making fun of something and wasn’t acting serious, and you can be a drama, or comedy writer and no meter what you writer your job would be a serious one. I see the people react like it was a funny, pleasant situation, they were totally cool about it.

    ReplyDelete